The pain in thigh region and down below the knees is a common symptom of sciatica. It is often experienced during walking or stretching your body. The pain can also be felt in the lower back region.
In sciatica, the nerve pathway from the lower back going towards butt and down to thighs reaching knees and feet is considered as pain affected area. People sometimes just feel tingling or pins like needles in the affected areas. It also feels like you have lost the energy in this part of the body and it has become weak. All these are considered as indications of sciatica.
Tennis Ball Therapy for Sciatic Pain
Tennis ball therapy is the right method to get relief from the sciatica pain. It is quite a popular method and many of you must be aware of it. It is a very simple technique which keeps the pressure on the specific points and works on reflexology to still the damaged muscles. It provides relief from strains in muscles.
The piriformis muscle located just around the sciatic nerve is directly pressurized using the tennis ball. This sciatic nerve generally pushes the tendons which lead to pain. The tennis ball therapy boosts the blood flow in the affected area and provides relief from the rigidity of muscles.
How to do Tennis Ball Therapy for Sciatica
It is a very beneficial method which you can easily perform at home. Here you actually don’t have to do much physical work as compared to other exercises. You just have to lay down or sit on the ground and keep the ball close to the muscle in which you often experience pain.
The therapy can also be performed using two balls. Actually, it is a good way to go for the use of two balls as it increases the chances of hitting the bigger region with less torment. Also, it is easy to manage the weight disseminating over both the balls.
If you are not yet comfortable to balance the two balls then you can start the therapy using 1 ball only. That too will work well.
- The process of this treatment involves moving your body on the ball by focusing on the muscles which become rigid and causing pain.
- Just keep the ball below your butt area or thigh area ( the weak spot where the pain is more) and try to roll your body forward and backward on the ball.
- Continue the process for 15-20 minutes for a right side of your body.
- Then switch to the left side of the body and repeat the same process for another 15-20 minutes.
- Do this therapy twice a day and in no time, you notice stunning results.
This therapy will effectively work on the rigid muscles and reduce the strain in the muscles. It also takes the weight of the affected sciatic nerve and provides relief from pain.
Herniated disc or bone spur is the main cause of sciatic pain. It is not a disease but symptoms of pain generated in the body. The tennis ball therapy will work wonders for you and provide relief from pain. You will soon experience that pain has vanished and you no more suffer from lower back pain or pinched nerve.
If you have a severe sciatic pain then it is required to consult the doctor or specialist before you start the tennis ball treatment. As off now there is no side effect of this treatment but it is always better to take a step with the proper suggestion of your doctor. Try the treatment and get relief from painful sciatica.
- 39If you’re suffering from lower back pain or an aching pain in the back of your thigh, it is very likely that you have a tight piriformis muscle that is aggravating the sciatic nerve. In fact, the Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine estimated that an individual has a 40% chance of experiencing sciatica sometime…