Regardless of age, most of us have collected a good collection of scars, some from acne, some from burns, some from scrapes, and others from surgical incisions. Once the skin is seriously damaged, there is, unfortunately, no magic bullet that can make the scars disappear completely. But essential oils can help you to reduce and lighten scars naturally.
Before visiting your doctor to talk about expensive laser treatment, creams containing artificial substances like hydroquinone which has now been shown to be carcinogenic, painful filler injections that need to be repeated every few months, or cortisone cream with its deleterious side effects, rather try the following healthy and natural essential oils.
Essential Oils for Reducing Scars
Helichrysum essential oil
Many people might complain that helichrysum oil is expensive, but if testimonials are taken as a guide, it is one of the most popular and effective essential oil against scarring.
It is a strong antioxidant, preventing unnecessary damage and aging of the skin and helping with the regeneration of damaged skin. It is also antibacterial, antifungal, and antiseptic, and can, therefore, aid healthy wound healing.
Helichrysum essential oil is also one of the best home remedies for reducing stretch marks.
Carrot seed essential oil
- Carrot seed essential oil is one of the best essential oils to combat wrinkles.
- It is equally popular as an antioxidant, a sunburn treatment, a skin regenerator, and a skin toner.
- Frankincense oil promotes cell regeneration, and reduces the appearance of stretch marks and scars, and can help wounds heal properly so that scarring is less likely.
- It is also one of the best essential oil for eczema, and also one of the best natural treatments for crepey skin.
- Unsurprisingly, lavender oil, that all-around remedy for so many ailments, is good for your skin too. It has antibacterial and antifungal properties and can thus promote wound healing, healthy skin cell formation, and help with acne, wrinkles, psoriasis, and other inflammatory conditions.
Rosemary essential oil
- Rosemary essential oil has antibacterial and antiseptic properties and can thus help a range of skin conditions like eczema, dermatitis, acne, and other conditions that cause scars.
- It can also tone your skin, eliminate dryness, and give it an even glow to reduce the appearance of scarring.
- Sandalwood oil stimulates olfactory receptor cells in your skin that advances cell proliferation and wound healing.
- Cell proliferation is exactly what you require for old, scarred skin cells to be replaced by new ones.
- Neroli oil helps to build new skin cells, it keeps your skin elastic, it lightens scars, reduces stretch marks, and heals broken capillaries (tiny blood vessels) under your skin.
- It is also one of the best essential oils for acne.
Mandarin oil (tangerine oil)
- Mandarin oil, sometimes called tangerine oil, is effective because of the vitamin C, or ascorbic acid, it contains.
- It promotes the formation of new skin cells and is a powerful antioxidant to prevents skin damage, which helps to keep scar tissue under control.
- The lemon essential oil contains vitamin C and is also good for acne scarring.
- It has antibacterial properties and also prevents the formation of new acne on the skin.
Tea Tree oil
- Tea tree oil is found in many skin products as it has many essential properties that are good for your skin.
- It has the potential to improve skin by healing dry skin, psoriasis, and eczema.
- And it’s also one of the best home remedies for healing scars naturally.
- Chamomile is popular in cosmetic applications as it reduces scars and marks on the skin.
- Chamomile oil also heals wounds, cuts, and bruises and helps to prevent them from becoming infected.
Clary sage oil
- One of the major properties of clary sage oil is that it is used to reduce scars and stretch marks and helps in healing wounds, and this is why it has a strong place in the world of cosmetics.
Carrier Oils for Reducing Scars
Rosehip seed oil
- Rosehip seed oil can lighten scarring, reduce wrinkles, regenerate skin, and helps the skin regain its natural tone and color.
- It was specifically tested on people with extensive facial scarring, burn marks, acne scars, and age spots.
- Tamanu oil is pressed from the Tamanu tree nut and is considered one of the best healing carrier oil for the skin.
- It aids in wound healing and reducing scars and stretch marks by promoting new tissue formation, promoting healthy skin growth.
- Calendula oil is used extensively for skin care and as a treatment for many skin conditions.
- It has great anti-inflammatory and healing wounds properties, making it useful to treat wounds, acne, eczema, and other skin conditions.
How to Treat Fresh Wounds Using Essential Oils
The most effective way to prevent scarring is to treat fresh wounds correctly. Preventing a scab from forming by keeping the wound moist with oils can help you avoid scarring.
A Gentle Oil Blend for Scars
If you want an oil blend to apply to your facial skin, or if you have very sensitive skin, the best approach is to mix carrier oils into a gentle blend. Try the following:
- 1 tablespoon rosehip seed oil
- 1 tablespoon calendula oil
- 1 tablespoon tamanu oil
It is extremely unlikely that anyone would have an allergic response to this blend. Mix them in a bottle, gently apply to your skin with your fingers, and dab with a paper towel until the excess oil is removed.
If you think your skin can take something a bit stronger, mix the following:
- Half a cup of rosehip seed oil
- 20 drops of frankincense oil
- 20 drops of lavender oil
This is also gentle, but effective.
The Simple Essential Oil Blend for Scars
This can also be called the expensive blend, as these two oils are not particularly cheap. Still, it provides a complete skin solution without the need for any further moisturizers or skincare products.
Mix half a cup of rosehip seed oil with 20 drops of helichrysum oil. Use this as a moisturizer in the mornings by applying it to your face, and apply it to each of your scars twice a day for best results.
A Strong Blend for Scars
- Half a cup of rosehip seed oil
- 15 drops helichrysum oil
- 15 drops mandarin oil
- 10 drops tea tree oil
As this blend contains a citrus oil, it is best to apply this at night to protect your skin from sun damage.
How to Treat a Fresh Acne Breakout to Prevent Scars
Acne forms scars when it becomes inflamed. Propionibacterium acne, in which bacteria are active, is the most likely to become inflamed and form scars. Researchers have found citronella grass oil, coconut oil, and Holy basil and sweet basil oils, to be relatively effective against this type of acne.
Either use coconut oil on its own as a daily moisturizer or mix half a cup of coconut oil with 40 drops of sweet basil oil in a bottle and apply it to your face every morning. Rub it gently onto your skin, after which you wipe off excess oil with a tissue.
- 77Most creams and procedures designed to fight the aging process cost a little fortune and provide temporary results. The good news is that as we start to understand this process better and become familiar with the causes of our changes in appearances, we can turn to natural treatments and preventative…