Sauerkraut is fermented cabbage and is proven to protect against cardiovascular diseases, cancer, and stroke. It also improves digestion.
Health benefits of sauerkraut
Sauerkraut is known as healthy food for many years and was especially consumed by sailors because sauerkraut is rich in vitamin C. This food protected them from scurvy, a disease caused by vitamin C deficiency.
Sauerkraut – a powerful probiotic
Fermented cabbage is like a powerful probiotic. Good bacteria are created by the process of natural fermentation which improves the digestion. So if you take antibiotics, you should consume sauerkraut to protect your intestines.
Protects against cancer
Sauerkraut is proven to have anti-cancer properties due to the following three ingredients:
- Isothiocyanate – a compound with powerful anti-cancer properties;
- Flavonoids – they protect your arteries.
- Glucosinolate –activates the natural antioxidant enzymes in the body;
Healthier and stronger heart
Sauerkraut also improves digestion and protects your brain because it is rich in fiber. Because of the fiber, it also reduces your bad cholesterol level, protects against stroke, heart attack and arteriosclerosis.
Sauerkraut for stronger bones
Sauerkraut is rich in minerals which are important for bone health thus protecting you from getting osteoporosis. It also has vitamin K, which is proven to be an important vitamin for strong bones.
Sauerkraut for weight loss
Due to many studies, it is proven that sauerkraut helps in the weight loss process, especially in the abdominal area. Fermented foods accelerate the metabolism so by consuming sauerkraut you can maintain proper weight, lipid metabolism and protect yourself from inflammations.
How to make your own sauerkraut at home
It is better to prepare sauerkraut at home as the one from the stores is heated because of the canning process, so the good bacteria are destroyed.
- A few bigger cabbages
- 2 tablespoons of unrefined sea salt
The fermentation process usually lasts for 1-6 months.
The first step is to core the cabbages and you can do it with the help of food processor. Place the cabbage in a bowl and sprinkle it with salt. Use your hands to massage the cabbage to work the salt in and help break down the cellular walls. The cabbage will become soft and release juice into the bowl. Then place the cabbage in ceramic crock specifically made for fermenting. But if you don’t have one, just place the cabbage in a glass jar and use your fist to pack cabbage down.
Continue to press the cabbage until it is covered with brine as the brine protects the cabbage from the mold. Cover the jar and keep the jar at room temperature so the cabbage could be fermented up to 6 months.
You should check the sauerkraut every couple of days. When you think is ready, store it in the fridge for up to 6 months. Remove the scum from the top previously. And that’s it! You can enjoy consuming sauerkraut!
- 52The one food you’re skipping may be one of the best health foods out there, and although you may not want reasons to eat more cabbage, you should seriously reconsider! Cabbage has been a staple food for many throughout history. Unfortunately, with the ever-growing vegetable options out there, cabbage is…
- 39Ladies and gentlemen, sometimes the weirdest methods can give you the best results. From honey wraps to onion socks, there are many different time-tested "weird" remedies that can help you treat and prevent many different health problems. That's right! In this article, we're going to talk about one of these "weird" remedies – the…
- 36Fermented foods, including cabbage sauerkraut, provide amazing health benefits and the best thing about them is that they can stay fresh longer. These are some of the best properties of sauerkraut for your health. 1. GOOD DIGESTION This cabbage has many fibers and this is vital for healthy digestion. It…
- Put Cabbage Leaves Onto Your Chest and Legs Before You go to Sleep if you Experience Frequent Headaches-the Next Morning You Will Feel Healthier Than Ever!30It may sound incredible, but cabbage leaves are very beneficial because they pull out the diseases from our bodies. Swellings caused by traumas: Wrap the area with fresh cabbage leaves, if you are experiencing pain in your arms or legs. Also, wrap cabbage leaves if it swelling starts. The best results…