Juicing is the process of extracting juice from fruit, vegetables, roots, and tubers for consumption. There are many important health benefits to be gained from juicing fresh fruit and vegetables rather than eating them whole or sliced.
IN A NUTSHELL: WHY JUICE?
Although freshly-extracted juice contains the same nutrients as the original fruit and veg, the juicing process removes the fiber. Consequently, the juice is more concentrated, easier to digest and offers a higher absorption rate of nutrients from the gut into the bloodstream.
Faster and more effective absorption offers many health benefits: from improved detoxification and stronger immune system, so increased energy levels and healthier-looking skin.
Below I will discuss the health benefits of juicing and bury the occasional bad press and myths that unfairly follow juicing.
THE ADVANTAGES OF DRINKING JUICES
1. You consume a greater quantity of fruit and veg in juice form
Did you ever try to eat 10 different fruits in one seating? This can be difficult. However, it is easy to knock back the juice of 10 fresh fruit (largely because the bulky fibers have been removed).
This allows you to get far more vitamins and essential minerals into your system, in higher concentrations, and in a shorter time frame.
2. Juicing allows quicker digestion of fruits and vegetables
Juicing removes the fibers from fruit and vegetables, allowing for easier consumption and quicker digestion.
3. Your body can absorb nutrients more effectively from juice
Freshly-extracted juice is more concentrated than whole fruits and vegetables. A higher concentration allows your body to absorb nutrients more effectively at a cellular level.
4. Juicing is a great way to get your kids to eat their greens
Juicing for kids is a great way to get kids to eat their greens or any other vegetables that they refuse to eat in isolation. Use your child’s favorite fruit (such as banana or orange) to disguise the taste of other ingredients like spinaches that you may have sneaked in.
MYTHS OF JUICING
The leftover pulp often goes to waste
Pulp or fibers are the side-product of juicing, and often get thrown away. Some people think that they are a waste.
However, once you understand how a masticating juicer works, you will see that removing the fibers is the best way of eliminating the pesticides on non-organic produce.
- 40Eating a variety of fresh vegetables is always desirable, but there are ways to boost their nutritional value even further. My favorites are fermenting, juicing, and sprouting. 1. Fermenting Fermenting is one of the best ways to turn ordinary vegetables into superfoods. The culturing process produces beneficial microbes that are…
- 37Dragon fruit (Pitaya) is one of the more curious looking fruits in the produce section of the grocery store. Perhaps you questioned its flavor or brilliant pink hues. This psychedelic explosion of color actually benefits your health in a myriad of different ways! In fact, the health benefits of dragon…